I look forward to Thanksgiving dinner every year for one reason. It is not the turkey or the mashed potatoes. It isn’t even the pies and desserts, although those are great too. The reason I look forward to Thanksgiving is this awesome Sweet Potato Casserole! It is so delicious!!!
I have shared this the last few years, but it is my favorite thing to eat, so I am sharing it again today. I’ll be dreaming about this all night!
- 4 cups sweet potato, cubed
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Put sweet potatoes in a medium saucepan with water to cover. Cook over medium-high heat until tender; drain and mash. (or use canned yams and skip this step altogether.)
- In a large bowl, mix together the sweet potatoes, white sugar, eggs, cinnamon, salt, butter, milk and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth. Transfer to a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, mix the brown sugar and flour. Cut in the butter until the mixture is coarse. Stir in the pecans. Sprinkle the mixture over the sweet potato mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven 30 minutes, or until the topping is lightly brown.
If you try it, please let me know! I have a feeling that you will love it too!