A few years ago we went to a cookout at my husband’s Aunt’s lake house. She served this broccoli salad, and I was in instant love! She has always been a wonderful cook with lots of great recipes. I think that every time I left her house I had a new recipe that to add to my collection. This broccoli salad is quite simple and very delicious.
- 1 head broccoli, stems removed and florets cut into pieces
- 4 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp white sugar
- 1/4 cup roasted no salt added sunflower seed kernels
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a small bowl combine mayo, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. Mix well and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine broccoli, bacon, onion, cranberries, and raisins. Gently stir in the mayo dressing completely covering the broccoli mixture.
- Sprinkle with sunflower seeds and serve immediately.
The only down side to this delicious salad is that due to the fact that it doesn’t keep well, it has to all be eaten on the day it is made . But hey, that is not really much of a problem considering how delicious it is!