I LOVE tacos! They are one of my absolute favorite meals. This casserole tastes like a taco and is so easy to make! I love how the crushed tortilla chips on the bottom make a nice crust. The refried beans and meat mix together with the cheese to make each bite taste like heaven.
- 1 pound ground beef (use ground turkey for a healthier option.)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper (personally I hate peppers, but if you like them, go ahead and add them!)
- 1 envelope taco seasoning (I prefer the lower sodium one)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup crushed tortilla chips
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Toppings: chopped lettuce and tomatoes, sliced ripe olives, sour cream and picante sauce
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in taco seasoning and water. Cook and stir until thickened, about 3 minutes; set aside.
- 2. Place chips in a greased 8-in. square baking dish.
- 3.In a small bowl, stir refried beans; spread over chips.
- 4.Top with beef mixture and cheese.
- 5. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
- 6.Top with lettuce, tomatoes and olives. Serve with sour cream and picante sauce. Yield: 4 servings.